Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Farming in Iowa



History = my worst subject. I used to believe that history was uninteresting, dull, and just plain boring. Actually, now that I think about it, I still think that. However, going to the Iowa Historical Society Building in downtown Des Moines was an interesting experience. Being 21, I now have a greater appreciation of Iowa’s history than I was going on that second or third grade tour of it back in the day. It’s pretty cool how things in the building were like that in Iowa decades ago, and seeing how things have changed.

I chose to write on farming in Iowa. Yes, everyone thinks of corn when we say we’re from Iowa and yes, people have asked me if I ride tractors to school. This isn’t true in my case because I’m from Des Moines…but who knows someone out there might. Anyways, farming is a definite culture of Iowa and there shouldn’t be any embarrassment of that. It’s a successful and needed business and iconic in Iowa’s culture. Iowa is acknowledged as a world leader in agricultural production and it ranks second in the nation for selling its farm products to the world, according to an informational card at the Historical Museum. It not only feeds people and livestock, but it fuels cars as well, as corn is in ethanol gas.

Farming is an important culture and has been since the beginning of time. It has changed dramatically over centuries. I took a picture of an old plow from the 1800’s.

It is incredible how technology has changed to benefit us. I cannot imagine farming with this; however, it is how people used to do it and it needs to be remembered how cultures used to be. Technology changes in the plow and other farming tools has made farming labor more efficient.

By: Hannah

No comments: