Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Farmer Capitalist

While I was walking around the Historical Society Building trying to find something that garbed my attention I immediately knew what I would write about. From growing up in Iowa my entire life and helping my grandpa and dad on the farm it was easy for me to be attracted to the display on the farming equipment and the diary entries from several farmers. When looking at the farm equipment it made me think of the definition in the Iwo Jima article that they gave for an iconic image. The actual display was made up of multiple images and events that took play hundreds of years ago and are still being practiced today.

Hariman and Lucaites stated that iconic photographs are widely recognized as representations of significant historical events, activate strong emotional response, and are reproduced across a range of media, genres, or topics. This farm display struck all of these emotions in me while I was looking at them. There is just so much history and tradition that was being represented. This display was a refection of the public's attitude towards the way they view and cherish their life on the farm.

The same equipment that was used many, many years ago to produce food and create a living for families is still used and practiced today. There was a quote that stood out to me describing why people would move to Iowa, "people moving to Iowa for farming and is good for the family." Even back then farming was a form of identity for people and families and they cherished their time on the farm as an iconic event taking place. Even though the prices have changed the same tools are still being used to make the food that we eat.

-Brekka Spellman

No comments: