Monday, April 5, 2010

In the Prescence of History

On Thursday, March 25th, my internship offered me an amazing opportunity. I had tickets to go see the President of the United States speak on my college campus. I drove out with some other interns at the Statehouse the night before, spent the evening laughing and talking. The car was filled with excitement, we were about to witness a piece of history. President Obama had just signed the health care reform bill into law, and had chosen Iowa City as his first destination to celebrate. I would be able to tell people that I had been there after he passed this piece of legislation that would have a monumental effect on not only his presidency, but the country as well.

As we walked up to the Fieldhouse to wait in line, we passed a decent-sized group of protestors, standing outside the building waving signs with phrases like "Obamacare" and "Obama's Holocaust" next to pictures of death and other unpleasent things. I stared at them for quite awhile, unable to tear my eyes away from their anger, heavily displayed on their faces and in their movement. I tried not to put too much thought into what their posters said, after all, I know that is not at all what this piece of legislation will do. I found, however, that I had a hard time throwing their prescence out of my mind.

There I was, excited and enthusiastic, about being able to see my President, whom I respect and admire, speak on a bill that I knew certainly had to do some good. But in the meanwhile, there were people outside who believed in the opposite with exactly the same enthusiasm. It made me think about how all controversial government programs, like Medicaid, had to begin in the same way. With supporters and protestors taking sides and advocating for them by speaking outside buildings, creating signs, and expressing their beliefs in any way they can. And it was in this moment that I really began to hold great respect for our country and its founding principles. We've made it possible, not only for people to feel free to express themselves, but also for law to be an ever-evolving process. One that can be easily changed and altered to ensure success over time. No bill that ever passes is perfect, and there will always be some sort of problem with any legislation for one person or another. But the great thing is, that no matter what, it is easy for us, as a population to influence it as much as we can to ensure that it succeeds for many people in the long run.

1 comment:

Images said...

I agree with you completely. I think that people sometimes forget that the world is constantly changing and we have to change along with it. That's why I have respect for Obama as well, he keeps his focus on what is important and will go the distance to see that change does occur within his time.
--Scarlet