Thursday, September 23, 2010

Happy to be Here


By: Hannah






I am doing my internship at Generation Next Child Development Center and Preschool. What I am doing is shadowing my supervisor and completing various tasks while learning the ins and outs of starting up and maintaining a business. I couldn't have asked for a better place to intern at. I was hesitent to even do an internship because you always hear how interns are just there to do "b**** work." This is far from that. I have learned so many things from my supervisor, Karen. She doesn't make me file or run errands for her all day. I sit down next to her and watch her do many different things, such as payroll and charging clients' accounts, and then she lets me do it myself. I feel like she really wants me to learn and it makes the job ten times more fun. This is exactly what I want to be doing in the future and doing this internship has only heightened that desire.


Today I had a new task to complete on my own. The co owner, who does a lot of the accounting stuff for Generation Next, is gone for a week and I had to learn how to enter parents' weekly tuition into the system and then write up a deposit slip and get it to the bank. You have to enter the correct amount into the correct spot on the system and make sure your totals are the same in the computer and the deposit slip. Sounds easy, right? Not so much. I was so nervous I was going to mess up while entering numbers in because this was a new job to me. But when owning your own business, little things like this have to be completed without messing up!


I have had to do many projects so far with Karen and the rest of the management staff. I have to say my favorite has been the networking event and coat drive I have organized. My networking event was last night and it was for parents to come in and socialize and meet each other since they usually just drop and pick up their children quickly. We served refreshments and appetizers and I feel it was a huge success! I even met some people who are in the business field that I want to be in and got to chat with them about their experience.


The coat drive has been a success also. I sent out a letter to the parent's letting them know I was going to put this together and take the donations to St. Joseph's Emergency Shelter once completed. I am suprised with all of the donations that have been brought so far, and the box has only been sitting out for two weeks!


My experience with my internship is turning out to be a huge learning experience for me and if I had a chance to change it, I wouldn't.

No comments: