Friday, September 24, 2010

My Love For the City


After reading through all of your guys’ posts regarding your feelings toward living in Des Moines during this internship process and the adjustment of leaving Iowa City, I realized that I wasn’t all alone on my bias towards IC. Over the past three years I have become very fond of the Iowa City lifestyle. I was born and raised in a small town in southwest Iowa called Creston. It’s a rarity for people to make it out and not somehow find themselves back living in Creston after finishing school. So when I left home back in August of 2007 to start school I made it a point to never return for longer than a weekend. Even when I go back for a couple days people ask me if I’m back for good. Can’t a guy visit his family and close friends for a couple days without looking like a failure who found himself back in “the black hole”? I shouldn’t be so negative towards my hometown but I’ve seen it swallow up too many of my childhood friends not to be a little bitter. So needless to say the city life was a pleasant change for me.

Iowa City became my new home and my love for the Hawkeyes reached a whole new level. So when the opportunity to join Aviva Investors came about last fall I realized that I would be forced to relocate temporarily. I don’t have a lot of friends or family in the Des Moines area besides my aunt and uncle in Waukee so I was hesitant to move from Iowa City for 6 months. But since I am nearing the end of my time at the University I realized that I better lock down a finance internship before I try to get some full time work next year. Scary to think I’ll probably be working around 70 to 80 hours a week a year from now so I’m taking this opportunity day by day….no need to rush all that. I am learning a lot about private fixed income and I am excited to apply what I’ve learned at Aviva in the classroom in my last two semesters back at Iowa.

The Des Moines life is starting to grow on me as well. I’ve gone out with the guys from work a few times and I like the all the different bars and restaurants. It is a little on the expensive side compared to Iowa City, but I definitely could get used to living in a city like Des Moines after I graduate. My attitude towards Creston hasn’t changed, and I am definitely not afraid to venture off to somewhere crazy like California or Arizona for a while after I’m done with school. Overall, I’m glad I took the internship at Aviva and to be honest, the money isn’t too bad either.


Keith P.

No comments: