Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Chapter 5 - The Real World


If my life were chronicled in a book, and elementary school thru college were chapters 1-4, this book is starting the 5th chapter here in about 3 months. Chapter 5: The Real World.....gulp. Ever since school started back in the old days of 1994, there has always been a sense of security. Next year is just another year of school, I knew where I would be, what I would be doing, and who I would be with. This next chapter in my life is something I have never experienced before. To be honest, it is a little unnerving to know that by the end of 2010, I will be done with school for the long haul, barring some need to go back. At this point, I'm simply trying to get as much out of this internship as I can, and hopefully work hard enough to show them that I can fill a spot on their team and land a job. That would be the best thing that could happen right now, being that I haven't begun looking for other places to go since Iowa doesn't necessarily have the best opportunities to work in sports. It is at this point when the "what ifs" start.

What if I don't get a job? Where will I go? How long do I hold out to stay in sports until I have to go a different direction? What if I can't find a job? What will I do then?

These types of questions can stress a person out, but as I look at the situation, I realize that every college graduate goes through this transition into the real world, and most people turn out alright, so why sweat it?

I'm just trying to enjoy this experience to the fullest and gain the most knowledge that I possibly can working in the industry I want to have a career in. All I can do is try my hardest and good things will happen. I can't say that I've ever had a negative return out of something I gave 110%, and I am not about to start now. This internship is a testament of my hard work. It wasn't even an option when I initially gained interest in the DSM Center Program, but I went after it and was proactive and made things happen, and look what turned out. I'm working for the company I wanted, and the one that I went after.

And who says that this new chapter will be bad? There is a lot of good coming from this transition. A chance to experience new things like buying a new place, or possibly a car, moving to another city, or even a dog, etc.



A new page is turned everyday and come December, Chapter 5 will begin. What will I do? I don't completely know, but what I DO know is that I will be prepared to deal with whatever I run into because I've been spending the last 18 years of my life readying myself for it and have had the best teachers, parents, and role models to learn from.

~Doug L.

5 comments:

Kait said...

It seems so strange to not have to have homework, go to class, study at the library, call ourselves students ever again! Oh and the pictures are inspiring! haha

Christine said...

I definitely know what you are talking about. I graudated in May and went through the same anxieties about what happens next. I think you have the right idea though, just learn as much as you can. Be persisitent about finding the job you want and I'm sure everything will turn out fine. At least that's what I tell myself haha

Doug L. said...

Excuse the pictures not working, I've posted them 3 times and they work once they're posted but seem to quit after a while. sorry but i give up trying.

Kait said...

Sorry i wasn't being sarcastic with my picture comment! I actually did see them.

Doug said...

No, I know you weren't. I reposted again.