Thursday, September 23, 2010

So What's a Fella to Do?








The constraints on living in Des Moines are a far cry from the near-complete freedom associated with the natural Iowa City lifestyle. While living in Des Moines, I've rediscovered what it means to live under another's roof and rule. My parents are the sweetest people in the world, but their lifestyle is no longer what I'm accustomed to. I've realized that I've had to change the way I go about my days and nights, though that is in part also influenced by my work. This is not to imply that living in Iowa City is the perfect living situation, but the differences between the two are enough as to warrant a comparison of the two situations.
When living in Iowa City, I realize exactly how much freedom I have on my own. In Des Moines, I can't cook my own meals without being interrogated by my parents as to why I'm not eating what they're eating. As much as I love my mom's cooking, my tastes have changed since I've moved off. The Des Moines situation is less than ideal due to the lack of control, but the freedom of Iowa City contains problems of its own.
For the most part, living in Iowa City is a beautiful situation. I can come and go as I please, I don't have to answer to anyone regarding anyone, I completely set my own schedule, and I don't have to worry about waking anyone at a late hour. The freedom of Iowa City, in fact, allows for a situation in which I allow bad habits, have no one to check them, and see the bad habits become permanent.
A balance between the two seems to be the option. A situation in which I have my own rules, but those rules reflect the lessons instilled in me by my parents, seems to be the way to go. Maybe, one day, after I get a job and my own place, I can embrace that lifestyle change.

by Justin H.

1 comment:

Doug L. said...

Reading about the rules and dinner interrogations, I feel like I'm reading my own thoughts. I guess we just need to be thankful we have somewhere to live. Ha.