Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chili, Pumpkins and Building Houses



Tamra Gredell
When thinking of a service project to do it took me some time to figure out what I wanted to do. I knew I wanted to do a service project related to less fortunate families. My first thought was Habitat for Humanity, I wanted to get involved with the organization so I could learn more about non-profit organizations as well as learn more about this organization specifically so I could bring my knowledge to Tippie Build at The University of Iowa.
When I reached out to Habitat for Humanity they only needed volunteers for build days. I agreed to volunteer for a build day but I wanted to do more. I found an organization called Hawthorne Hill. This organization gives homeless women with children a place to live. This organization was looking for volunteers to cook meals and host children’s activities.
I signed up to cook two meals and host two children’s activities. The first meal I cooked I chose to make chili and cornbread. Making a meal for 35-40 people was definitely a challenge especially because I have a reputation for being a terrible cook. I managed to make the meal without burning down my kitchen and delivered it on time to the New Beginnings Shelter.
My next goal was to host a children’s activity. This was also a challenge for me because my reputation with children is not one to be admired. I decided to carve pumpkins since it was the week before Halloween. Jarren was an energetic seven year old who had never carved a pumpkin. He chose the hardest outline to carve and after a minute of hesitation we tackled the pumpkin carving together. It didn’t turn out to be perfect but it was the best pumpkin Jarren and I had ever carved. For the second pumpkin we chose to carve something much simpler.
After we carved pumpkins I stayed to play with Jarren, the way he talked about having to wear a donated costume for Halloween and how he wanted me to stay for a long time because he simply just wanted someone to play with made me feel so thankful.
I have volunteered for organization in the past and I feel as though I have never gotten so much out of volunteering as I did that day playing with Jarren. He made me realize how fortunate I am, he made me appreciate my family, friends, and all the other small things I take for granted.
This past weekend I was finally able to participate in a Habitat for Humanity build day. It was much harder than I had anticipated. I thought that because I had no experience building houses that I would just be painting or doing something far less labor intensive. Instead I was helping nail plywood to studs on the second floor, and I was helping install foam insulation to the outside of the house. I was climbing ladders and nailing nails. I felt accomplished when I left the build site for the day, I was amazed that I had actually had a small part in building a house.
Completing these various service projects has made me feel that I have made a small difference; I think the biggest difference was to Jarren. Just spending a couple of hours with him I could tell that I had made his day just that much better.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

From Ralph:
I have cooked Christmas Day dinner at Iowa City's Shelter House several times in the past - it is indeed a monumental undertaking. And I have extensive professional experience!

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to do Habitat for Humanity! You'll have to send me some information about it or how I can get in contact with someone. Also, Jarren looks extremely happy in that picture...I'm sure he was soo ecstatic to carve his first pumpkin! You did an awesome thing!

Hannah said...

Sorry...forgot to sign my name on my post :)

Hannah D.