Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tour of the Capitol


By: Keith P.

Before arriving at the Capitol I was wondering how much I was going to get out of the experience. I couldn’t remember much from my middle school visit but I figured I wasn’t missing out on that much. I was pleasantly surprised to see we were actually getting a guided tour instead of just wondering about. Learning the history of each room and the detailed accounts of the construction of each piece really made me appreciate the effort of all those people. It truly is a work of art and I am proud to know that it is considered the best capitol in the country.

I would have to say one of my favorite rooms was the law library. The fact that they were able to stack so many shelves of books in such a tight area with those spiral staircases is amazing. All the time and hard work that had to go into that has to be appreciated by everyone who uses or even visits the library. During our walk through I even saw a construction worker painting in a corner room which shows that basic upkeep and maintenance is a high priority.

Overall I am glad we had the opportunity to experience the tour of the capitol together. Considering my attention span in middle school wasn’t necessarily “up to par”, I’m glad I could go again and really appreciate the detailed stories the guide was able to explain to us throughout the tour. I’ll have an entirely different outlook every day I pass by the capitol after our visit.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Was he painting the wall one color, or was he painting a detailed picture? I would love to watch someone paint those detailed lines and borders and watch how carefully they have to do it. If he was, I'm bummed I didn't see it!