Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Small Gesture Can Make A Difference

By Hannah


The picture is the new remodeled St. Joseph's Emergency Shelter of Des Moines.


Last week I went to St. Joseph’s Emergency Shelter to take the items that the employees and families of Generation Next donated throughout this semester for my service learning project for the DMC. It was a real pleasure to help families that were in need of winter clothing. I had no idea what to expect when I got there because I didn’t know if there would really be any families living there. To my surprise, there was and it felt good knowing that I had done something that would help people I don’t know.

I feel like what I have done will make a huge impact of a lot of needy families. At this shelter, families will be able to get winter clothing for free if necessary and be able to clothe their family members. This is a place that helps women and children get back on their feet. Though no one should ever have to go through times like this, it still happens and they need all the help they can get. Winter clothing is expensive and diapers are a huge cost for those who need them. These donated items that the families and employees at Generation Next have given are very much helpful and appreciated.

If you ever get a chance to do something like this or serve food at a homeless shelter, I suggest doing it. It’s an internal rewarding experience worth while because your making a difference in someone else’s life.

2 comments:

Lauren S. said...

Hannah,

Good for you! This project kind of reminds me of Christmas baskets at Dowling - sending everyday items and gifts to those less fortunate than us shows compassion and is very rewarding for all involved.

Hannah said...

I know! I want to get involved with something like that again too. That sure was awesome delivering gifts to the families and seeing the happiness on the children's faces of all the gifts they were getting!