Tuesday, November 16, 2010

State Library of Iowa

By: Lauren


As an intern for the Des Moines Public Library, the State Capitol’s Law Library stood out to me with its charm and intricate appeal. While I think that the Central Library has unique architecture and some great attributes, I prefer a cozier atmosphere like can be found at the Law Library. There’s something about cuddling up by a fireplace (or a snazzy staircase) with a good book and not so much allure to reading by a cement structure.

London architect, David Chipperfield, designed the minimalistic styled Central Library in a way that allows visitors to see outside from any location (and also under the opinion that the building itself is a work of art and does not need artwork inside). During my internship, I have visited other library branches around Des Moines and prefer a more homely feel such as the warm colors in the Waukee Public Library. Needless to say, my short while in the Law Library was instantly compared to my experiences in other libraries.

I have a much greater appreciation for the attention to detail and old beauty of the Law Library. Its exquisiteness (from the big and small, old and new books to the exclusive spiral staircases) drew me in and made me want to stay for awhile. Like everywhere in the State Capitol, the Library has an extreme amount of character. Looking up at the thousands of books neatly organized and lined on woodworked shelves seemed like an illusion. I almost felt like I was in a Harry Potter scene and the staircases were about to move.

We learned that the interior of the Capitol building had to be restored after the 1904 fire and while I’m not glad that a fire occurred, I am grateful for the opportunity to see the reconfigured original designs. Not all libraries have traditional adornment and a one of a kind motif. Although I love the Central Library (with its modern and eco friendly large panes of copper embedded glass and grass covered roof, whew), the Law Library’s ornamentation made it memorable and a place to treasure.

No comments: