Friday, November 12, 2010

One Month Left....

It's hard to believe that there is only a month left in the Des Moines Center. It seems like not too long ago we were sitting in the classroom for orientation wondering how the semester will turn out. I think the thing I have personally enjoyed the most this semester is the actual "work" aspect of it all. I think this experience has showed me that I am ready to move on from school and get into the working world. Despite the occasional boring day where I just want to go home, majority of this semester has been a great learning experience and has truly shown me that this is what I want to do.

I understand that I am far from being a pro at this type of job, but I am way better off now than I was back in August when this journey began. I think the thing I have enjoyed most about this position is being able to be comfortable on the job. I grew up around this team and Buccaneer Arena which has made the transition fairly easy. At the end of all of this I would really hope to get a position out of it, but with the economy the way it is, who knows if they're willing to bring me on? Not me.

The season is 8 games in and with football games coming to an end soon, the attendance at the games is only going to go up, which in turn makes it a better game experience. I don't know what it is, but when they score a goal and the Madhouse on Hickman roars with excitement, it is ALMOST comparable to celebrating a touchdown in Kinnick. Simply gives me the chills hearing the crowd yell along to the best goal song of all time, Rock and Roll, Pt. 2 (look it up)

I don't know what the future may hold with this organization, but what I do know is that this organization has made me who I am today. Starting youth hockey in that arena 16 years ago, going to the Bucs games for 10+ years as a fan, and now giving me this opportunity to intern with them, it has been an important factor in my life.

If there is one thing I can tell everyone is that if you haven't been to a Bucs game, it is definitely something you need to do before you leave Des Moines. While some people say the building is too old, and what not, it's history in the city of Urbandale being around since the 60's or 70's, and it will hopefully stick around for a long time. Plus, (teachers don't read this part), if you pick the right night, you can come to the $1 Buc Beer Night. Anyways, I encourage you to come out.



Go Bucs! ~Doug L.

1 comment:

Doug said...

I don't know if he took my advice or if he went on his own, but kudos to Justin for making it out to a game. If the group would like to line something up, don't hesitate to ask.