Thursday, November 11, 2010

Iowa State Capitol Tour





By: Hannah

I had been most excited for the state capitol trip all semester. There were so many things that were just so amazing in that place that I didn't understand back when I was in grade school when I toured it for my only time. Today I wanted to blog about the architecture and paintings inside the capitol. I was dumbfounded that there was absolutely NO wallpaper anywhere in that gigantic building; it is all hand painted! To think how long that must have taken to complete every tiny leaf bordered around a door, or large mural on a wall amazes me.




This is a picture of the large center dome of the capitol as if you were looking up at it. If you look closely, you can see the American flag in the center of it. There is still more dome above that! 20 feet to be exact said our tour guide! High above the flag are hand painted clouds as well. How could someone get up there is my question?!

There is just so many jaw dropping facts that you find out about when you tour the Iowa State Capitol. According to our tour guide, we are known for a great capitol and have a reputation of being the best. I didn't know that, and to me, that is something to be proud of. I highly suggest to anyone to tour it if you ever get the chance. There is just so much to learn about.

No comments: