Friday, December 10, 2010

Musings on the Future


This is a bit of a shorter blog post, my mind has been wandering a bit lately. I’ve been thinking a lot about my future, and where I go from here. I intend to move back to Iowa City very soon, and that’s been at the forefront of my mind. For the past four years, I’ve called Iowa City home. It’s a nice place and the integration of the college campus with the city itself is one of my favorite features. As I prepare to move back, however, I feel as if I may have outgrown the city.

The feel of the city has changed a bit, as my outlook on life has changed with age. The 21 law would have been something I would have fought against tooth and nail. Now, frankly, I simply don’t care. If younger people can be in the bars, cool. If not, meh. I likely won’t be there myself, so it simply doesn’t matter to me. I no longer care about going out on weekends and living the life of the typical undergrad. I don’t care about how many people I know, late nights, and many other things that used to be the typical features of my life. I feel that part of that has to do with the fact that I am mentally preparing for professional school, and part of that is living in Des Moines, working in a professional setting.

As I’m submitting my applications for law school, I look at the list of potential places I might be living and it honestly freaks me out a bit. Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Chapel Hill… All a good distance away (except Chicago, but the city is bigger than any place I’ve ever lived). Even through all of that, however, I can honestly say that I cannot wait to start my career as a true professional. To have my own place, my own money, and the responsibilities that come with it are exciting and frankly a bit scary. I’m anxious and apprehensive about moving on, but I can’t wait. Big things are ahead, and I can only hope I’m up to the challenge.

~Justin H.

1 comment:

Images said...

Justin,

I feel like I can relate. Even though I will not being going to law school it just dawned on me a couple weeks ago, that in 1 year I could be living anywhere. Thinking about all the places I could go is a bit frightening. I am sure once I start looking for a "real" job my options will become smaller, but right now thinking of all the possibilities is kind of overwhelming.

Tamra