Thursday, December 9, 2010

Nearing the End

-Keith


With a little over a month left in my internship, yes I said a month and I’m not too happy about it, I’m eager to finish the job and return to school. I have learned more than I ever imagined coming in and appreciate everything my co-workers have done for me. They have helped me feel more confident about my abilities and actually got me excited to go back and finish school. I’m ready to get back into my finance and econ courses and see how much progress I have made.

The Des Moines experience has been great but the Iowa City lifestyle and being with all my friends again has got me more than ready to get back into a “normal” routine. I’m glad I got the chance to have this test run of a full-time finance position because it made me realize how easy I have it being a college student. I’m not a big fan of getting home at 6 am and going to bed at 10 so I’m able to survive the next day without falling asleep on my keyboard. I’m looking forward to staying up to 2 am for no reason at all and sleeping until my body wakes itself up, sounds amazing.

My two supervisors are only a few years out of school and they have given me more advice about life after college than I even knew to ask for. Even though they are both ISU alumni they did actually learn something at that school and both ended up with positions at a respectable company like Aviva. I am thankful that I have these guys to reach out to when I am faced with a tough decision or deciding which company to apply to.

But like Tamra mentioned in her post I am also not going to rush my last year at the University. I understand that I’m going to have to start looking into full-time positions in the near future and this experience has opened my eyes to the importance of making the right decisions and starting off on the right path.

No comments: