Wednesday, December 8, 2010


“Templeton Rye”

I never would have thought that there would be so much buzz over whiskey in Iowa but that’s the case for “The Good Stuff” known as Templeton Rye. Which dates back to the 1920’s where residents back then became outlaws. This stuff is such a hot item that it’s flying off the shelves and today I heard a story about a guy who followed the delivery truck around town so he could get his hands on this sacred Whiskey. He ended up with 17 bottles most stores limit one per customer. The reason the whiskey is so popular is because another batch of it won’t be ready for another four years. Templeton Rye has a smooth finish which is produced from the Prohibition era recipe.

Every day I have people asking me about it since my Internship deals with fine wines, spirits and malts. I wish we sold this item so then I would have a better chance of knowing where it’s going to be. There are stores with waiting lists 100 or more people deep. Other stores are doing a first come first serve. At around 33 dollars a pop people are still drooling over it.

Templeton, IA produces the historic Templeton Rye whiskey which has made an impact in Iowa History. This whiskey was the choice of Al Capone. A little history about the product is that “most whiskeys ceased production after prohibition ended, Templeton Rye continued to be produced illegally in small quantities for loyal patrons. More than eighty-five years later, the infamous small batch rye whiskey finally returned – made available legally for the first time ever in 2006.” (templetonrye.com)

Maybe I will be lucky enough to score a bottle of it and see what all the hype is about. But I don't plan on fighting someone for it or waiting in line.


By: Cody

No comments: